Re: Diary insert date formatting-Help still needed please

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Diary insert date formatting-Help still needed please
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 2009 17:09:53 -0500

rpd wrote:

Thanks Xah Lee for your code.
However, I tried to get it to work to allow 'insert diary entry' to format
as I want but I could not get it to work.

Can anyone else please help me? I have looked at the Calendar group/diary
subset to customise this but I can find nothing to show 'insert diary entry'
to customise to the format I want (ie with dayname -either abbreviated or in
full : %a, %A).
I have searched .emacsfiles on the internet & looked in emacs manual (where
it seems to suggest this can be done but doesn't give an example!).

I look forward to some more help,thanks

I have this in my emacs:

(global-set-key "\C-cid" (lambda() (interactive) (insert (format-time-string "%a %Y-%m-%d - %l:%M %p"))))

which produces:

Sun 2009-08-09 -  4:26 PM

you want something like

(format-time-string "%a %b %d, %Y")

How to make that the format in insert diary entry I don't know. You might have to modify diary-lib.el
This seems to do what you want, and more:

http://sachachua.com/notebook/emacs/cal-desk-calendar.el

Also look at diary-date-forms in Customize.