RE: font-lock on variables

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: font-lock on variables
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 07:14:09 -0700

> > I am trying to hack a few extensions in emacs that allow
> > one to look for words in dictionaries.  (in particular,
> > wordnet.el and sdcv.el (to be found, respectively, at:
> > http://williamxu.net9.org/ref/wordnet.el and
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/sdcv.el)
> >
> > When one looks for a word in, say, wordnet.el, it creates a
> > new buffer, *WORDNET* which has several of its key terms
> > fontified.  However, I would like to be able to fontify,
> > also, the actual word that I am searching.  This word is a
> > variable, and changes every time one makes a new search.
>
> Look at how hi-lock.el does it.

Again (see last week's thread "Text highlighter functiontionality") -

Hi-lock is only one library that offers such highlighting. See the generic wiki
page for this topic: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/HighlightTemporarily. That
page compares the various highlighting libraries, including hi-lock, listing
what each is good for.

> > After going through the manual, and looking around in
> > google and the mailing lists, I have not been able to
> > figure out how to achieve such thing.

Please file an Emacs bug, describing how you tried to find this topic in the
Emacs manual. That will help the Emacs maintainers improve access. `M-x
report-emacs-bug'.

Remember too that `i' in Info is your friend. `i highlight' includes the manual
pages that mention hi-lock.