Re: Quick folder/file access in Emacs

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Quick folder/file access in Emacs
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 14:24:29 -0500

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:34:45 +0200 Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:

TV> In addition to locate, if you use anything-traverse.el, you will be able
TV> to search files recursively in a directory tree.You can have these datas
TV> persistent between emacs sessions if you want.
TV> I can index the 35000 files of my home directory with that.
TV> You can have an index in any directory.

That is nice for specific subsets.  I use locate to search across
millions of files (SVN repository with many checked-out branches); it's
slower but since it's asynchronous I don't mind.

It would be nice if Emacs had a way to automatically persist hashtables,
wouldn't it?  Maybe tying them to SQLite or something like that...  I've
proposed it on emacs-devel before but so far there's been little
interest; after Emacs 23 is out I'll probably push it again.

Ted