RE: How to install icicles libraries

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: How to install icicles libraries
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 2009 15:09:08 -0700

> Can you please tell me how to install icicles libraries?
>
> I follow http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Icicles_-_Libraries#toc3 and
> use "Use library auto-install.el. Setup like this: (setq
> auto-install-save-confirm nil). Do 'M-x auto-install-batch', then
> enter 'icicles'. - "
>
> But I get this error: error in process filter: Symbol's function
> definition is void: url-file-nondirectory
>
> Can you please tell me how to install icicles?

Caveat: I'm no expert on `auto-install.el'; I didn't write it.

But the file header says that it is for Emacs 22 or later. When I open Emacs 22
or 23 (with no init file: `emacs -Q'), and I do `C-h f url-file-nondirectory', I
see that that function is defined.

So I'm guessing that you are trying to use `auto-install.el' with an Emacs
version prior to 22. Is that right?

If so, then use one of the other methods to download the Icicles files. Try
`icicles-install.el' or the script `get-icicles.sh'. Or just download the files
individually at http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/ElispArea.

HTH.