Re: problems displaying german "umlaute"

From: TomSW
Subject: Re: problems displaying german "umlaute"
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 2009 15:42:32 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 4, 11:14 pm, Rainer Stengele <rainer.steng...@online.de> wrote:

> OK, opening the file after "emacs -Q" gives me:
>
> [Ps 90:12  Lehre uns bedenken, da\303\237 wir sterben m\303\274ssen, auf
> da\303\237 wir klug werden.]
>
> After evaluating (set-buffer-multibyte t) and reloading the buffer the
> result is wrong still...

It looks as if Emacs is reading utf-8 files as ascii, I don't know
why. After loading the file, try the command describe-coding-system,
just to confirm what coding system is being used.

To fix the problem you can change file-coding-system-alist, or use set-
default-coding-systems, somewhere in your .emacs. Just seems odd that
it is necessary.
regards,
Tom