Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:24:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 11, 3:49 pm, Kim Christensen <kim.christen...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 12, 12:01 am, Xah Lee <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 11, 1:35 am, Kim Christensen <kim.christen...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi list,
>
> > > I've been using Emacs on and off for the past couple of years but
> > > recently started using it as main editor on my workstation. It took a
> > > while to get into, mainly because I wanted to learn elisp and had to
> > > get a grip of the customization possibilites before realising the
> > > potential of this fine piece of software :-)
>
> > > However, I have quite a disturbing problem when it comes to editing
> > > files over a SMB/CIFS network mount. When trying to save a file that I
> > > have opened from a mounted share, I cannot save it using basic-save-
> > > buffer (C-x C-s or M-x basic-save-buffer). Emacs gives me this error:
>
> > > basic-save-buffer-2: Opening output file: no such file or directory,
> > > <file path>
>
> > > When i try saving using write-file (C-x C-w) instead, it works just
> > > fine. This is very disturbing since I have to specify the file name
> > > each time :-)
>
> > > If anyone has run into this problem and could give me some pointers on
> > > how to start debugging it I would be grateful!
>
> > > I'm running the following edition of Emacs:
> > > GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.1) of
> > > 2008-09-05 on yellow, modified by Ubuntu
>
> > > Best regards,
> > > Kim Christensen
>
> > not sure what's your networking setup... is it linux to windows?
>
> > anyway, i have local network between Windows and Mac. I work in
> > Windows using emacsW32 (based on emacs v23). It works fine.
>
> > for example, on windows, using emacs, accessing files on my Mac, and
> > the file path shows this syntax:
> > //169.254.223.41/xah/Documents/somefile.txt
>
> > don't know if this info helps at all.
>
> > not sure what you mean by “SMB/CIFS network mount”. As far as i know,
> > smb/cifs is network protocol, not a network file system such as nfs,
> > so you don't really mount it... maybe this has nothing to do with your
> > problem...
>
> Hi Lee,
>
> I am actually mounting the Samba share via the cifs network protocol,
> which allows me to mount it as a network file system (using "cifs" as
> the vfstype argument to the "mount" application).

thanks for the clarification.

> Are you using tramp for accessing the files? I could try that
> tomorrow, without mounting it at all -- just accessing it directly.

No, it is not going thru tramp. I think emacs passes the file access
request to windows. Because, on windows, in emacs, when i open the
file  //169.254.223.41/xah/Documents/somefile.txt
for the first time, Windows pops up the file sharing login dialog.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/