Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount

From: Kim Christensen
Subject: Cannot use normal save (C-x C-s) when operating over network mount
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2009 01:35:59 -0700 (PDT)

Hi list,

I've been using Emacs on and off for the past couple of years but
recently started using it as main editor on my workstation. It took a
while to get into, mainly because I wanted to learn elisp and had to
get a grip of the customization possibilites before realising the
potential of this fine piece of software :-)

However, I have quite a disturbing problem when it comes to editing
files over a SMB/CIFS network mount. When trying to save a file that I
have opened from a mounted share, I cannot save it using basic-save-
buffer (C-x C-s or M-x basic-save-buffer). Emacs gives me this error:

basic-save-buffer-2: Opening output file: no such file or directory,
<file path>

When i try saving using write-file (C-x C-w) instead, it works just
fine. This is very disturbing since I have to specify the file name
each time :-)

If anyone has run into this problem and could give me some pointers on
how to start debugging it I would be grateful!

I'm running the following edition of Emacs:
GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.1) of
2008-09-05 on yellow, modified by Ubuntu

Best regards,
Kim Christensen