cygwin+imagemagick+emacsW32 causes Windows Vista to report program cras

From: Xah Lee
Subject: cygwin+imagemagick+emacsW32 causes Windows Vista to report program crash
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 17:21:26 -0700 (PDT)

got a very odd problem that's driving me nuts.

in cygwin prompt, i can call one of imagemagick's command and get
result.

However, while in emacsw32 shell, identical call results Windows Vista
poppig up a window telling me some app crashed.

Anyone got some idea what's wrong?

-----------------------------------
here's more precise detail.

Here's how i call a program in cygwin terminal:

    xah@xah-PC ~/web/dinju/i
    $ convert Bazaar_zanjan.jpg Bazaar_zanjan.png

the above converts a jpg image to png, successfully.

Here's how i call it in emacsW32. In dired, cd to the dir, then Alt+x
shell, then “convert Bazaar_zanjan.jpg Bazaar_zanjan.png”.
Then, Windows pops up dialog about “convert.exe has stopped working”
with the following error:

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:     convert.exe
  Application Version:  0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:        4807a468
  Fault Module Name:    cygX11-6.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
  Fault Module Timestamp:       4791a783
  Exception Code:       c0000135
  Exception Offset:     0006ecfb
  OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:     9d13
  Additional Information 2:     1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
  Additional Information 3:     9d13
  Additional Information 4:     1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

this popup repeats 6 times.

Same thing happens if you simply call “identify” without running any
arguments, with about the exact same error message. e.g.

Problem signature:
  Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:     identify.exe
  Application Version:  0.0.0.0
  Application Timestamp:        4807a46a
  Fault Module Name:    cygX11-6.dll
  Fault Module Version: 6.0.6001.18000
  Fault Module Timestamp:       4791a783
  Exception Code:       c0000135
  Exception Offset:     0006ecfb
  OS Version:   6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:    1033
  Additional Information 1:     9d13
  Additional Information 2:     1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8
  Additional Information 3:     9d13
  Additional Information 4:     1abee00edb3fc1158f9ad6f44f0f6be8

“identify” is another command in imagemagick, it works fine if called
in cygwin terminal. Here's the log:

  xah@xah-PC ~/web/dinju/i
  $ identify Bazaar_zanjan.jpg
  Bazaar_zanjan.jpg JPEG 450x445 450x445+0+0 DirectClass 8-bit
65.793kb

------------

Cygwin has been re-installed many times in the past 2 weeks.  I was
able to run imagemagick commands within emacsW32 before without a
problem. The problem happened with my last reinstall of cygwin.

the odd thing is that it runs fine within cygwin terminal. I thought
maybe i'm missing some component in cygwin, but don't know which X11
related package corresponds to cygX11-6.dll. I thought maybe i had
some bad path setup in emacsW32, but went thru all my emacs init files
couldn't identify it. Same problem happens if i run emacs with -q,
then manually set-variable w32shell-cygwin-bin to “"C:\\cygwin\\bin"”
and w32shell-shell to “cygwin”, then run my command.

any suggestions?

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/