LaTeX templates (or just templates in general)

From: Orri
Subject: LaTeX templates (or just templates in general)
Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 22:56:26 -0700 (PDT)

I am rather new to emacs.

I have used the editor TextMate on mac and it has a very nice feature I like
and was wondering how I can acheive a similar thing in emacs.

When I am in latex mode in textmate and write temp[tabkey], I can choose
from a list of code segments to insert to the current file (or buffer).  I
often use this to insert frequently used code segments (3-10 lines) to
achieve tasks I frequently do (code to insert a figure with caption). These
segments are stored in a folder named ~/Library/Applications
Support/LaTeX/Templates

I know I can use [C-x i], But it takes so much time to write the correct
path every single time.
So I am looking for something like [C-x i] except it by default starts in
specified directory (rather than the current directory).

I know I can of course, in every latex project directory specify a symbolic
link (with a short name) to this directory, but I find it to be too much of
dirty hack.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to acieve this?