Re: Auto-Scrolling in Percentage Distance?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: Auto-Scrolling in Percentage Distance?
Date: Tue, 5 May 2009 13:18:38 -0400

Hey Andy,

Thanks for the reply.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 11:10 AM, Andy Stewart <lazycat.manatee@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Tim,
>
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hello Everyone,
>>
>> I was wondering if anyone had extended Emacs's auto scrolling
>> functionality to be able to set it to a percentage of the buffer
>> rather than lines from the bottom?  If you've ever used (or seen)
>> WriteRoom from Hog Bay, this is the functionality I'm looking for.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/AutoScroll

That's actually not what I'm looking for.  That seems to scroll a
buffer for you according to a timed interval (probably for reading a
book or long document of some sort).  What I want is to force the
buffer to scroll when my cursor gets, say, 60% from the bottom.  Right
now, Emacs allows you to specify a minimum distance from the bottom
(usually 0) that the cursor should be before this auto-scroll happens
(and usually it centers the text vertically in the buffer, as though
C-l were pressed).  I'd like it to be dynamic.  So if I specify 50%,
and the buffer is 25 lines long, I'd like the buffer to auto-scroll by
one line whenever my cursor travels below 12 lines from the bottom.

Does that make more sense?

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.