Re: python setup ?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: python setup ?
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 18:57:46 +0200

Barry Warsaw <barry@python.org> writes:

> On Apr 30, 2009, at 3:25 AM, Andreas Röhler wrote:
>
>> With python-mode.el, people may have good reasons, to
>> use it as it is - and me to leave it as it is.  Thats
>> fine with bazaar and other DVCs, we can do that. My
>> branch doesn't hamper the origin and any further branch
>> will not. Its just freedom to try and see.
>
> This is true, and experimentation a good thing in the short term.  In
> the long term though, a proliferation of branches just confuses people
> because no one's sure which is the official branch.  Our lives are
> more difficult too because of the python-mode.el/python.el split.
>
> So I encourage you to experiment and get user feedback.  Old-timers
> (and remember, python-mode.el's been in widespread use for 15 years)
> will be wedded to their muscle memory, but if you introduce a user-
> visible change that people like, they can be made configurable with
> defaults providing the old behavior.  Then it will be possible to
> merge your changes back into the official branch.  If you modularize
> your changes, then the less controversial ones can get merged in sooner.
>
> -Barry

IMO any new "obviously useful" features should be enabled by
default. Old Timers should have no problem reverting to older
configurations via settings. A point which generates much contention I
know. As it is, Python set up is/was a minefield. I have a reasonable
set up here fwiw,

This includes pysmell completions for hippie expand and company-mode.

http://richardriley.net/projects/emacs/dotprogramming#sec-1.3