Re: yasnippet and friends: usefull ?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: yasnippet and friends: usefull ?
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 13:08:45 +0200

thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com writes:

> Hi,
> NOTE:
> Instead of yasnippet, you can use also else-mode:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/ElseMode
>
> It's very well documented.
>
> I prefer it than yasnippet.

Just as an aside noticing it's not hosted on the wiki (it would be nice
if it was), Andy Stewart wrote a great utility suite for accessing
emacs wiki code : see

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/AutoInstall

,----
|    1. Find the Elisp file. Locate it on the web, either from a private site,
or from a code repository such as the EmacsWiki ElispArea or gist.
|    2. Asynchronous parallel download the file.
|    3. Batch install files Some extension (such as Icicles) have many packages
need install, and install those packages one by one is painful.
|    4. View differences with the old version. Sometimes, you’ll want to view
the differences between the new and old versions before you update.
|    5. Save the Elisp file. You might keep your elisp files organized by
categories, but this causes its own problems: if you download a new elisp file,
you need to make sure you’re deleting the old one, a hassle if the file is
located deep in a storage directory.
|    6. Install the Elisp file.
|    7. Keep the Elisp file updated.
`----

It has saved me a lot of time - especially with the "update" feature.

(also, the instructions for "else" talk about installing help files into
~/info which is wrong for most of us).