Re: Compleet buffer to clipboard

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Compleet buffer to clipboard
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 06:55:26 +0000

Hi, Decebal,

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 05:27:38AM -0700, Decebal wrote:
> A lot of times I want to copy the complete buffer to the clipboard.
> This is possible with:
>     C-x h
>     M-w

> But one of the complications is that you lose your cursor position.
> When you put in yor .emacs:
>     (defun buffer-yank()
>       (interactive)
>       (kill-new (buffer-substring (point-min) (point-max))))

>     (global-set-key (kbd "C-c C-a") 'buffer-yank)

> Then you can use:
>     C-c C-a
> to copy the complete buffer to the clipboard.

Sort of, some of the time.  C-c C-a is a binding reserved for major modes
(see page "Key Binding Conventions" in the elisp manual).  If you're in a
major mode which actually uses this binding (e.g. C Mode, Diff Mode), it
will take precedence over your `buffer-yank'.

You might be better using a binding reserved for users, say C-c a.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).