Re: An Eclim frontend for Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: An Eclim frontend for Emacs
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2009 00:06:12 +0200

Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> writes:

Hi Nikolaj,

> Well, eclipse does keep a syntax tree of the source code.  Eclim
> doesn't necessarily make it available in a raw form, but it has (at
> least) a command to print the class prototypes (java_class_prototype).
>
> Looking at the source code it wouldn't be too hard to return methods,
> arguments, etc. in CSV form.

Doesn't it do that already?  I only had a very brief look at the code,
but I had the impression that it basically returns every completion
possibility available at this position.

> Somebody just would have to convince the vim folks to accept patches
> helping an Emacs project. ;)

I searched their mailing list, and it seems the word emacs was never
ever spoken out. ;-) But I'm pretty sure they would accept patches.
It's free software, so one could fork it anyway, and this would decrease
the benefits on every side.

> Either way, it's a very neat project.  Thanks to whoever mentioned it
> first. ;)

My pleasure!

> The completion seems to work well with company[1], too, so I'll
> include a back-end in the next version.

Wow, that would be cool.  Till now, I didn't have a deeper look at
company mode, but this would definitively make me try it.

Bye,
Tassilo