Debian 5.0 Emacs package missing undo and strange behavior.

From: budu
Subject: Debian 5.0 Emacs package missing undo and strange behavior.
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 2009 13:26:13 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, I was just configuring a new server at my job and was tired of
using vi or nano ;-), so I decided to install Emacs. While trying to
set up a basic .emacs file, a very strange problem happened. First,
the C-/ shortcut for undo doesn't work, but then I don't know how to
put it back. I've tried (global-set-key [C-slash] 'undo) and (global-
set-key "\C-/" 'undo), both doesn't work.

The weird thing is, when evaluating the incorrect global-set-key
above, the debugger show up as usual, but then, all the text after the
cursor disappear, like if it were erased. Still it isn't when
reopening the file! Maybe it got to do with screen. What do you think?

BTW, can someone point me to some documentation about how defining
keyboard shortcuts works, there's many syntax available and I'm always
confused each time I mess with them. I've searched for it for quite
some time, yet never found anything comprehensive.

Thanks

- budu