Re: Working with different projects in Emacs

From: Damian
Subject: Re: Working with different projects in Emacs
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 20:21:38 +0200

Hello Drew,

> If all of the files for a given project are in or under the same directory,
> then
> moving (e.g. `cd') to that directory should let you complete file names there.
> IOW, `M-x cd', which sets `default-directory', which is the directory, by
> default, for file-name completion.
>
> And you can easily write a command that takes you directly to your project
> directory, so you don't have to enter it each time.
The problem I have with this solution, is that if I open a file in
some other directory, the working directory is changed again :(

> If the files of a project are in multiple directories, then you can use Dired,
> passing it the file list explicitly. Then mark specific files in that Dired
> buffer and then act on the marked files.
And here it seems like one has to perform a lot of steps just to get
the autocompletion of the files for a project. But probably I'm not
getting it right

Thanks for your answer,
Damian.