Re: How can I specify emacs to use a specified gdb with command paramet

From: David L
Subject: Re: How can I specify emacs to use a specified gdb with command parameters
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 06:38:03 -0700

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:23 PM, Lucius Fox wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> Another question I have is
> * how does emacs knows where to pulll the source code during debugging?

I think it learns it from gdb.  gdb learns if from the debugging symbols in
the executable.  I think there is some interaction with some emacs settings
because I've had situations where I've been unable to insert a breakpoint
in a file by clicking in the left margin, but emacs has been able to bring
me to the right line when gdb stops at a breakpoint inserted the old
fashion way.

> * after i open a file, how can I setup a break point at a particular line?
If gdb is active and emacs and gdb agree that the file you've opened
is a source file (usually, but not always true in my experience), you can
just left click in the left margin.

I'm responding on-list to this because other people might be able
to give better answers.

Good luck,

           Dave