Re: Tramp and BusyBox problem?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Tramp and BusyBox problem?
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 22:54:36 +0100

Mats Löfdahl <mats_lofdahl@yahoo.se> writes:

> An error was echoed. I guess the info is in the debug buffer but here
> it is from the *Messages* buffer as well:

That's not a problem. Your Busybox does not support the "getconf"
command; Tramp detects this, and uses (correcty, as I can see) default
values.

> Back to the badly formatted dired buffer: In addition to it looking
> funny, completion to existing file names does not work. Neither does
> clicking on the file names. It fails to open the file and an error is
> echoed: "dired-get-file-for-visit: File no longer exists; type `g' to
> update dired buffer"

That's another problem. Let's look into the debug buffer:

21:03:39 tramp-send-command (6) # _echo/bin/ls -al /._echo

Tramp has detected that Busybox echoes commands, and makes a trick to
mask the echo. The sent command is "/bin/ls -al /.".

21:03:39 tramp-check-for-regexp (5) # echo-mark found
21:03:39 tramp-wait-for-regexp (6) #

drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         4096 Mar 15 22:03 .
drwxr-xr-x   21 root     root         4096 Mar 15 22:03 ..
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            3 Aug 18  2004 .mkcert.serial

And so on. Your "ls" command returns escape sequences, in order to
colorize the output! Poor Tramp does not understand.

See the Tramp manual, section "Frequently Asked Question", where the
case of colorized "ls" output is discussed. Please suppress this in your
~/.profile on Busybox. You could use a check for $TERM in order to
suppress it only when Tramp connects, as it is discussed for the zsh in
that section.

> Thanks for spending time on this!
>
> /Mats

Best regards, Michael.