Re: Executing External Programs from Emacs

From: Nurullah Akkaya
Subject: Re: Executing External Programs from Emacs
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2009 12:30:39 +0200

On Sat, Feb 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM, dstein64 <DStein64@gmail.com> wrote:
Are there any functions that can launch external programs (not just
command line programs, but also GUI programs) from Emacs? I know that
I can access a shell, and call a program from there, but then emacs is
not operable until I close the program. Prepending the command with
`nohup' is useful, but for some reason it does not work as expected
with all programs, including emacs. I would prefer another way of
doing this - using a specific built-in of emacs lisp if one exists.

try using M-x term it does not block your session while running.

if you want to roll your own have a look at start-process function.