Re: What completion mechanisms are you using?

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: What completion mechanisms are you using?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 01:41:07 +0100

>> > Again an example of ido's behaviour:
>> > find file: a{ aa.txt | aac.txt | b.txt}
>> > If i now hit Backspace i get
>> > find file: /tmp/{ aa.txt | aac.txt | b.txt}
>> > If i now hit backspace again i get
>> > find file: /{ $list of files}
>> >
>> > Is this possible with a keybinding?
>>
>> That's already the same in Icicles - no need to change any
>> key bindings. That's just incremental completion - see above.
>>
>> That simply shows the completion candidates that correspond
>> to whatever is currently in the minibuffer. If the minibuffer
>> has `/tmp/' as content, then the candidates are the files in
>> directory `/tmp/'.
>
> I should have also mentioned that `C-backspace' removes the last directory
> component (and any partial file name) from your minibuffer input, then
> recompletes.
>
> So either of these removes everything except /titi/foo/ and then shows the
> completions for /titi/foo/:
>
>  File or directory: /titi/foo/bar/toto  C-backspace
>  Find or directory: /titi/foo/bar/  C-backspace
>
> The main answer here is still that this is just incremental completion, but
> yes,
> there is a one-key equivalent to Ido's `backspace' in Icicles, for file-name
> completion. (`backspace' itself is used for editing, as I mentioned).

I must admit that I returned to IDO after a while since my usage of
icicles was insufficient for me to remember how to use it. It just
seemed a tad too comprehensive and complicated - I got confused too many
times with the plethora of options. I can see how someone living in
Emacs would love it, but at the time it frightened me off. Possibly now
is the time to return to it.

As it is my completion/ido set up works well for me and is as simple as:

,----

`----

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation