Re: viewing random list of files in dired

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: viewing random list of files in dired
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:10:14 +0100

Rupert Swarbrick wrote:
Andreas Politz <politza@fh-trier.de> writes:

Hi,

is it possible to view a random list of files with dired ?

What I really want is to examine a couple 100 of images from
different directories as thumbnails with associated filename.
The names come from the command line. None of the programs I
have tried (gthumb,gqview,xzgv,feh) can do it.

Thanks,

-ap

I don't know whether dired will do this directly, but for a similar
problem in the past I used the following approach: create a temporary
directory and make symbolic links to each of the files in the list (if
you really mean random, you can pipe your command through eg shuf),
naming them 00001 00002 etc.

By random I ment that the files have no particular common property
(like coming from the same directory).
Creating links in a new directory seems to be the best bet. After
the frustration from trying 5 different programs settled down, I
modified dired-image to accept a list of files. While the results
are pleasing, it just takes to long for > 1000 files.

-ap

The result will be ordered however you choose (based on the ordering you
fed to your "counter") and you can just wipe the temporary directory
when done.

Rupert