Re: How to start shell and rename the buffer

From: Decebal
Subject: Re: How to start shell and rename the buffer
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 02:58:00 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 15, 4:34 pm, p...@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon)
wrote:
> You're assuming that --eval will loop.  If that had been the case, it
> would have been called --eval-loop.  Instead it is called --eval, and
> therefore it only does that.
>
> When you want to group several expressionsions in a sequence, you must
> use prog1, prog2 or in general, progn:
>
>    emacs  --eval '(progn (shell) (rename-buffer "shell"))'

I allready did this.

> But since  you don't pass -q, emacs will read your ~/.emacs, so you
> can as well put there a function such as:
>
> (defun shell-and-rename (name)
>    (interactive "sName: ")
>    (shell)
>    (rename-buffer name))
>
> and then:
>
>    emacs --eval '(shell-and-rename "shell")'

In principal a good idea, but it is done in a script. At the moment I
am the only one using the script, but you never know, so I like to
keep the dependicies as low as possible.

I am also thinking about:
    emacs  --eval '(shell)' --eval '(rename-buffer "shell")'
or
    emacs  --eval '(shell)'\
           --eval '(rename-buffer "shell")'

I think that is more clear.