Re: exporting from emacs to excel

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: exporting from emacs to excel
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 12:21:19 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 14, 3:13 am, rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to write a bit of elisp to take a file/buffer in org-mode and
> export the tables to an excel sheet.
>
> I know (very little) of how to write the code to make an excel sheet
> from wscript. eg
> giving wscript the following, opens a blank excel sheet:
>
> Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application")
> objExcel.Workbooks.Add
> objExcel.Visible = True
>
> Is there some easy/natural way to get this functionality inside elisp?

dont know what's wscript.
Wikipedia says http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Script_File

but if all you want is export some text formatted as some table in
emacs to excell, that's really easy elisp.

i dont use org-mode, so i'm not sure what format is its table. But
basically, a table is just text with special markers to indicate row
and column beginnings.

in ascii format, typically a row is just a line, and column are
delimited by comma. Typically known as csv format
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma-separated_values

all app or spreadsheet that deals with table data can import and
export this format.

if you can give a concrete example of what your source format is, then
perhaps me or others can show you the elisp code. It's probably just a
10 min job.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/