Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 17:05:10 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 16:09, Phil Carmody
<thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> So I just created a new frame, and dragged it to my coding desktop,
> how do I find out how to identify that frame?

See the function `selected-frame'.

For example, you could create a new frame, and then, with the focus on
it, you can do

  M-: (setq server-window (selected-frame)) <RET>

Of course, if you plan to do it automatically from your .emacs you
could use something like this (not tested):

  (setq server-window (make-frame '((height . 40) (width . 80))))

> Maybe there's a function which will tell me how to identify the
> frame I'm in.

Yes.

> C-h a frame doesn't really list much that seems useful.

On the contrary, I'd say it lists a lot of useful things (too many, perhaps).

> And here's one extra thing that's a bit puzzling - why is it a
> server-*window*?

Why not? The name comes from the original (but still valid) use of the variable.

> What good would it have done if I had succeded in setting the
> server-window to one of the two original windows? Wouldn't a
> server-frame be far more useful?

Apparently, for you the answer is yes :-) Not for me, I dislike having
several frames.

> And this is why I run 2 emacses, one for news, and one for coding.

I think with a suitable setup of server.el you wouldn't really need
that, but if you like it more your can run two emacsen, each one of
them a server (with different names, for example "news" and "coding"),
and use

   emacsclient --server=news file1
   emacsclient --server=coding file2

    Juanma