Re: Tracing what is loading

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Tracing what is loading
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 19:56:50 -0700

Harry Putnam wrote:

Please note that there already _is_ a message for every file loaded. But
because the *Messages* buffer only shows the last 50 (or so) messages,
you can't see them because starting up causes quite more messages.

Sorry to be back bugging you again but maybe you can add a little more
here.

Looking at that list, I see some anomalies.

The first 105 lines are of this form:
  /usr/share/emacs/22.3/lisp/term/x-win.elc

All are in /usr/share/emacs/22.3*

I think those were dumped into the emacs executable.

Then comes a line (106):

    /usr/local/GNUS/lisp/gnus-load.el

An address that is not a normal path to be searched.
How did emacs know to look there?

That is the address to gnus but not the one in the emacs
distribution.  This is the cvs version.

Hmmm, perhaps that directory was in load-path at some point,
or the file was loaded using its absolute file name.

The information that tells emacs where to look for that lisp directory
resides in /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el

Which according to the list has not yet been loaded.

That doesn't show up until line 118
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el

So is this listing just not accurate to that degree or is something else
going on?  I ask because I'm trying to discover when certain init
files are loaded.

Does /usr/local/GNUS/lisp/gnus-load.el show up in the list when you
start emacs with -Q?  What about the other files between it and
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el?

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA