temp stop syntax coloring on region of mismatched quotes

From: Xah Lee
Subject: temp stop syntax coloring on region of mismatched quotes
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 18:58:10 -0800 (PST)

sometimes in some source code, the double quote doesn't match and
makes the rest of the code from that point on syntax colored wrong.
Very annoying.

Is there anyway to make it not syntax color the region of text where
the quote becomes odd?

For example, i have this text in the middle of a html file:

<pre class="code">
&lt;img src="\([^"]+\)" alt="math surface" width="\([0-9]+\)" height="\
([0-9]+\)"&gt;
</pre>

and from this poitn on all syntax coloring gets wrong.
My usual workaround is to add a html comment

right after the line, but that's kinda a pain. I wish to temporarily
tell emacs to not do syntax coloring on the problematic region. Is
there a way?

Thanks.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/