Re: wikipedia's (ascii) math notation? emacs easy-way to translate it?

From: David Hansen
Subject: Re: wikipedia's (ascii) math notation? emacs easy-way to translate it?
Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:08:21 +0100

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:31:23 +0100 Sven Utcke wrote:

> dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
>
>> I see this stuff in math articles in wikipedia -- uses some kind
>> of ascii math-notation.  What is it?

It's called TeX.  Probably the best type setting software out there.

AUCTeX + preview LaTeX is an awesome Emacs mode to edit (La)TeX
Documents w/ some WYSIWYG features.

There is also some integration of AUCTeX / preview LaTeX into org-mode.
This may make it possible to send short snippets to a TeX process from a
plain text file w/o.  But I haven't tried that. But org-mode comes with
a good manual.

Of course you have to install (La)TeX before you can use it.  On
GNU/Linux this shouldn't be to hard.  I don't think there is any
distribution that has not packaged it.

David