Re: wikipedia's (ascii) math notation? emacs easy-way to translate it?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: wikipedia's (ascii) math notation? emacs easy-way to translate it?
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:48:54 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 27, 5:34 pm, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote:
> I see this stuff in math articles in wikipedia -- uses some kind
> of ascii math-notation.  What is it?

it'd be nice if you give a example.

Is it something like the following?

<math>{a\over a^2+b^2}+ \left( {-b\over a^2+b^2}\right)i.</math>

the <math> is just their own custom tag. The meat inside is TeX or
LaTeX. You can read up in Wikipedia there.

I'm sure there are tens of articles explaining how or what about the
math typesetting used in Wikipedia.

> (What is math-ML?  Is that it?)

no it's not MathML. You can read in Wikipedia about MathML.

> Anyway, sure looks not fun to enter it by hand -- is there an
> emacs .el-file that makes it all simple?

as far as i know there's some elisp package that let you edit
Wikipedia from emacs and upload it without using the web browser
interface. (search emacswiki.org for it) But i'm afraid the math
markup is not pretty printed in anyway.

there are of course LaTeX modes builtin to let you edit such source
file, but not with Wikipedia's light markup mixed.

i don't think there's anything that would let you edit Wikipedia's
markup in some wysiwyg way.

if you want to convert Wikipedia articles as viewed in browser into
pdf, you can do that in few ways. If you are using FireFox, you can
use a add-on that screenshot the whole page as pdf. Search for “Pearl
Crescent Page Saver Basic” or “Screen grab!”.

If you are on mac os x, you can simply Print and choose pdf as output.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/