RE: emacs mode line suggestions

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: emacs mode line suggestions
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 07:45:12 -0800

> current behaviour is clearly confusing and suboptimal.
> Maybe buffers lack a :user or a :system flag that would be set
> automatically or by the producer,...
>
> The effort could be joined with the one mentionned on emacs devel few
> months ago to give emacs enought facilities to propose "workspaces"....
>
> We can imagine...
>
> ... is a terrible default usability choice

C'mon guys. This is help-gnu-emacs. It's for getting help about using Emacs.

There is a mailing list for discussions of the suitability of the existing Emacs
behavior and possible improvements: emacs-devel@gnu.org. Discussing such things
(Emacs could, would, should) here is generally OT (IIUC).

A help topic could of course evolve toward discussion of possible Emacs changes.
When that happens, you can always divert it to emacs-devel, letting everyone
here know. AFAICT, this thread did not evolve into such a discussion; it started
out that way. It's time to move it where it belongs, I think.

I don't mean to single out Paul's latest message or even just this thread. The
text quoted above from Paul's message serves only as an illustration of the kind
of thing that is now being discussed here.

Let's help users by not diluting the help Q&A here. Please bring your
suggestions for changing Emacs to emacs-devel, where they are appropriate.