cua-mode and cua-replace-region

From: bigfaceworm
Subject: cua-mode and cua-replace-region
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2008 11:20:15 -0800 (PST)

All,

Emacs 22.1

I started using cua-mode b/c the rectangle commands are really handy.
I tried disabling the C-z C-x C-c C-v bindings b/c I didn't want them,
but this leaves the following, disturbing behavior:

(setq cua-enable-cua-keys nil)
M-x cua-mode

now yank some text, and exchange point and mark.
the region is now highlighted, and the next key that would
normally be bound to 'self-insert-command will actually
execute 'cua-replace-region.  Any movement triggers something
that undoes the 'cua-replace-region binding, and

I dislike that behavior, but can't figure out where cua-mode is doing
the mapping/unmapping.

Any help?

basically, I want the cua-rectangle editing, and none of the rest.

thanks,

TJ