Re: emacs-w3m question

From: Andreas Politz
Subject: Re: emacs-w3m question
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:51:55 +0100

Xavier Maillard wrote:
Hi,

   Xavier Maillard wrote:

   >    i think it is good to make this default. More intuitive for emacs
   >    users.
> > For your information, many old computers do not have
   > Up/Down/Left/Right keys thus making this as a default won't work
   > for them. I never use these key due to my habits. Therefor I
   > strongly disagree with you on that point.
> > Xavier

   If you don't have or use the cursor keys, why would you mind
   what it's default bindings are ? That doesn't make any sense.

Read again, it makes pefectly sense (hint: defaults apply to all
users).

        Xavier

I did, it doesn't.

Xahs proposal:
>(add-hook 'w3m-mode-hook
>     (lambda ()
>      (define-key w3m-mode-map (kbd "<up>") 'previous-line) ; was w3m-
>    previous-anchor. Use Shift+Tab.
>      (define-key w3m-mode-map (kbd "<down>") 'next-line) ; was w3m-next-
>    anchor. Use Tab.
>      (define-key w3m-mode-map (kbd "<left>") 'backward-char) ; was w3m-
>    view-previous-page. Use B.
>      (define-key w3m-mode-map (kbd "<right>") 'forward-char) ; was w3m-
>    view-this-url. Use Enter.
>    ))
>
>    i think it is good to make this default. More intuitive for emacs
>    users.

The arrow keys are bound in the global map to
previous-line/next-line/backward-char
/forward-char. This is the default binding. They are even mentioned in the
tutorial as an inferior way to move point.
Now, w3m rebinds this keys to some modespecific actions. It should be obvious,
that this is a problem. Would you like it if some mode binds C-n to push-button
?

But I don't want to stop you guys from debating, what ever it is you are
debating.

-ap