Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh

From: Xah
Subject: Re: How to edit crontab using emacs over ssh
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 09:11:46 -0800 (PST)

Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Log-in to that computer in a *term* session? Starting emacs-server
> and setting EDITOR to emacsclient?

i think Peter answered your question, but rather cryptically.

emacs's shell (Alt+x shell) is not designed to be a terminal emulator.
You won't be able to start a emacs inside it. So, you probably better
off with “Alt+x term” or “Alt+x terminal-emulator”, then you can do
your ssh and “crontab -e”.

i don't recommend using emacs as a terminal emulator, because once in
that mode, basic emacs keybindings you are used to won't work anymore
because you told it to behave as terminal emulator. If you need to ssh
to another machine, prob best to it in a real terminal emulator.

PS aynone know what's the diff between “Alt+x term” and “Alt+x
terminal-emulator”?

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/