Re: emacs + unicode + hebrew + bidi

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: emacs + unicode + hebrew + bidi
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 22:35:52 +0200

> Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 16:15:04 +0100
> From: "Bourgneuf Francois" <francois.bourgneuf@groupe-mma.fr>
>
> I just wanted to point that "english numbers" (i.e. arabic) numbers
> are in fact right to left.  We're used to use them so we think they
> are written left to right but it's wrong. Even though you don't
> realize it, you read numbers from the right to the left.

You are simply distorting the widely accepted meaning of left-to-right
text and right-to-left text.  Please don't, this confuses even more an
issue that is already confusing.

The point here is _not_ how we decide whether a digit 1 means one,
ten, or one hundred.  The point is that in a text such as

  here are few digits: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

the digit 1 is read before the digit 2, 2 before 3, etc.

In bidirectional languages such as Hebrew, a similar utterance would
be displayed like this:

                              1, 2, 3, 4, 5 :STIGID WEF A ERA EREH

That is, the digits are still written _and_ read left-to-right, unlike
the text that precedes them, which is read right-to-left.

> I disagree with what's written in the Wikipedia article.

That is your prerogative, but please try not to confuse others.