Re: Binding C-i without losing <tab> functionality

From: jeep
Subject: Re: Binding C-i without losing <tab> functionality
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 22:13:05 -0700 (PDT)

> 1. Don't translate tab into C-i.
> (define-key function-key-map [tab] nil)
> 2. Swap the meanings of tab and C-i.
> (define-key key-translation-map [9] [tab])
> (define-key key-translation-map [tab] [9])
> 3. Bind tab (which is now actually C-i)
> (global-set-key [tab] 'isearch-forward)

I really do appreciate the help and I'm sorry that I'm being a bit
dense, but I want to understand this.

This works for what I want to do, but I still don't grok it. I
understand all the steps, but now... if I want to reassign the tab
key, how would I go about doing that? Everything I try seems to fail,
just like it did before for C-i. I've been reading info for hours now
and I understand a lot more about emacs, but this still bothers me.

Thanks a lot.
-JEEP