Re: Going to line n, column m

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Going to line n, column m
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2008 20:58:25 +0200

"Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
>> Mauricio <briqueabraque@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> I think this is simple, but I wasn't able
>>> to find it anywhere: how can I tell emacs
>>> I want to go to line x, column y?
>>
>> Usually, x is the column, and y is the line.
>>
>> (defun goto-xy (column line)
>>   (interactive "nColumn:
>> nLine: ")
>>   (let ((lines (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))))
>>     (cond
>>       ((< line 0)     (error "Cannot go before the beginning of buffer."))
>>       ((< line lines) (beginning-of-buffer) (forward-line line))
>
> I think you need to use (widen) above. Please see `goto-line' - and why
> not use goto-line?

I didn't think about it, but now that you ask, goto-line is an
interactive function that does much more than going to some line.  And
it will eventuall call forward-line, so I think it's a good idea to
call it directly.

Otherwise, you're correct about widen, but there must be a good reason
why the user narrowed, I'd guess.

The point is that, obviously, my command lacks a good documentation
string.  Sorry about that.

This is a signature virus.  Add me to your signature and help me to live.