Re: Flyspell and mouse-2

From: harven
Subject: Re: Flyspell and mouse-2
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:48:26 +0200

CJHoughton <houghton@maths.tcd.ie> writes:

> I am sure that there is an obvious way to find this out that I am missing
> and I am sorry if that is true but it is driving me crazy; how do you open
> the list of suggested spellings in flyspell-mode without using the mouse, at
> the moment mouse-2 on the incorrect word does this.
>
> Thanks a million, Conor

You are probably looking for the M-x flyspell-auto-correct-word command,
which is bound by default to M-TAB.

M-TAB is not a very good shortcut, since it is often intercepted by
the window-manager. So, let us assume that the command has been bound
to F4 by putting the following in your init-file:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f4>") 'flyspell-auto-correct-word)

Press F4 one time to correct the word under the cursor ; if several
spellings are possible, they appear in the minibuffer. Now just keep
hitting F4 ; this will replace the word under the cursor with the
successive suggestions.

You may also want to look at the command
flyspell-auto-correct-previous-word, which is not bound by default.

Note that there is also the ispell utility, which is called with
M-$, if it is installed. The different suggestions are numbered
at the top of the window ; you choose one by typing the right number.
If there are a lot of suggestions, this may be faster than the
flyspell cycling.