Re: Creating new major mode

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Creating new major mode
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:36:58 +1000

"Paulo J. Matos" <pocm@ecs.soton.ac.uk> writes:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 4:06 PM, Nikolaj Schumacher <me@nschum.de> wrote:
>> Paulo Jorge Matos <pocm@soton.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> Thank you. It seems then that the issue is that some modes predate the
>>> existence of the derived-mode API. New modes should use though, right?
>>
>> Well, "should" is relative.  I absolutely suggest it, but it's strictly
>> optional.  Some newer modes also elect not to use it.
>>
>> Maybe take a look at the bundled css-mode.  It's not too big and has a
>> typical design.
>>

> Thanks for the tip, I will look at it! :)

The other nice thing about using derived mode et al is that you can get
a lot of functionality for free. For example, if you derive from a mode
that has the same basic formatting requirements as your new mode, then
you only need to tweak things rather than re-invent from scratch.
It can be a lot less work and result in a lot less you need to maintain.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au