Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: xraysmalevich
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 08:21:09 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 19, 10:13 am, Xah Lee <x...@xahlee.org> wrote:
> Xah wrote:
> > Suggestions on Emacs's Scratch Buffer
> >http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_scratch_buffer.html
>
> On Sep 19, 6:08 am, xraysmalev...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Emacs provides a user level function to create a new buffer. C-x b,
> > and enter a name of a non-existing buffer.
> > And if I close it without saving,
> > Emacs prompts me gently -- it doesn't demand a filename, it asks if I
> > want to save it. And only then, if I say yes, does it prompt for a
> > filename. How polite.
>
> what you reported doesn't seems to be the emacs behavior for me.
>
> For example:
>
> Type C-x b xyz RET to create a new buffer named xyz.
>
> Type something in it.
>
> Now type M-x kill-buffer RET. The buffer will be killed with all
> content lost.
>
>   Xah
>http://xahlee.org/

I stand corrected: it doesn't prompt to save, since it was never a
file to begin with. I guess I'm just in the habit of saving when I
want to. Nevertheless, the original point was that Emacs DOES provide
a user-level function to create a new buffer. And it also allows you
to save that buffer as a file -- if you wish.

--the Other michael