Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Livin Stephen
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 00:56:21 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 14, 7:20 am, Tim X <t...@nospam.dev.null> wrote:

> I think the reason you got better results setting the term to xterm
> rather than eterm-color is to do with terminfo.

> Tim
>
> --
> tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

Tim,
 Thanks for a very informative post!
 This is something I'll check out myself.

Tim, Francis,
 ... I know some keyboard shortcuts (like M-t, C-k, C-r) that work in,
say bash, but I always thought of them as emacs-ish shortcuts
conveniently available there. Then seeing the man-page for 'bash' i
came across 'Readline' which seems to actually provide these shortcuts
and functions.

 So my question is:
How do you invoke commands like (yank-last-arg) in any shell [ not
just emacs' term ] if they don't have a keybinding ?
For example,
invoke 'kill-word' without using the shortcut key 'M-d'. Is this
possible ?

[ Posting here so as to not start another term/shell thread ]