Re: (emacs+unix): How to have a file-name containing slashes, angle-brac

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: (emacs+unix): How to have a file-name containing slashes, angle-brackets, etc?
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:02:30 +0200

Xah <xahlee@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 25, 1:13 pm, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
>> According to Wikipedia, EXT2 (1993) supports all characters.  Older data
>> is harder to find.
>
> unix uses UFS.

You should be more clear if you're talking about UNIX or unix.  Neither
is limited to a single file system, though.

The oldest UNIX file system listed in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_file_systems was the
Version 6 FS, which allows "any byte except NUL and /" with a limit of
14 bytes in 1972.

UFS supports "any byte except NUL" with 255 bytes and (also according to
Wikipedia) was introduced in BSD 4.2 in 1983.

> if i recall correctly, the ext2 didn't become popular until mid 2000.

You're mistaken.  But that's not relevant.  The question is whether unix
is, by design, capable of handling characters outside the alphanumerical
range.

> don't want to argue...

Neither do I.  I just wanted to correct your mistake, so people don't
get a wrong image of unix.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher