version-control and make-backup-file-name-function

From: Florian Lindner
Subject: version-control and make-backup-file-name-function
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:20:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I'm bringing this up again, since my question in the old thread [1]
produced no more answers...

I have a customized backup function:

(defun my-backup-file-name (fpath)
  (let (backup-root bpath)
    (setq backup-root "~/.emacs.d/backup")
    (setq bpath (concat backup-root fpath "~"))
    (make-directory (file-name-directory bpath) bpath)
    bpath
    )
  )

combinded with the backup settings:

(setq make-backup-file-name-function 'my-backup-file-name
      version-control t
      delete-old-versions t
      kept-new-versions 6
      kept-old-versions 2)

When uncommenting make-backup-file-name-function it works with backups
in the same dir as the original. With make-backup-file-name-function
there are backups in the .emacs/backup dir but only the first version
which is never updated. I suspect it's a problem with the creation of
the backup file name for the n-th version.

Anyone got an idea how to combine versioned backups and custom
location?
Furthermore: What is the difference between kept-new-versions and kept-
old-versions? I did RTM but I'm still not sure.

Thanks,

Florian

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.help/browse_thread/thread/2f29712021157725#