Re: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-08-06 on LENNART

From: Rainer Stengele
Subject: Re: GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2008-08-06 on LENNART-69DE564 (patched): error "Required feature `diary-loaddefs' was not provided"
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 00:07:31 +0200

Lennart Borgman (gmail) schrieb:
Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sat, 09 Aug 2008 23:05:47 +0200
From: Rainer Stengele <rainer.stengele@yahoo.de>
CC: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

C:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\Rainer>c:\Emacs23\emacs\bin\emacs -q -batch -f list-load-path-shadows
Adding c:/Emacs23/EmacsW32/lisp/ to load-path
This site has duplicate Lisp libraries with the same name.
If a locally-installed Lisp library overrides a library in the Emacs release, that can cause trouble, and you should probably remove the locally-installed
version unless you know what you are doing.

c:/Emacs23/emacs/lisp/vc-dav hides c:/Emacs23/emacs/lisp/url/vc-dav

1 Emacs Lisp load-path shadowing was found

Thanks Rainer,

That is probably something left over from an older installation of Emacs. Could you perhaps try to delete or rename the c:/Emacs23/ directory and install Emacs again?

You should take care of this, but I don't think it's related to your
original problem.

It is a bit related to the installer for Emacs+EmacsW32 that I distribute. I have written it so that it does not delete the old Emacs tree, but I think that is a mistake.

I think I will let it delete the emacs directory before installation. It should be (rather) safe since a user should not put files there.

Any thoughts on this?

Lennart,

after deleting the Emacs23 folder I still get

eval-buffer: Required feature `hol-loaddefs' was not provided

Rainer.