Re: won't load .emacs init file

From: paul.mead
Subject: Re: won't load .emacs init file
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2008 02:47:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 1, 9:38 am, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
<lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> paul.mead wrote:
> > On Jul 31, 11:33 pm, "Lennart Borgman (gmail)"
> > <lennart.borg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Do you mean that if you start with
>
> >>    emacs -Q
>
> >> then the M-x load-file ~/.emacs works?
>
> > No, I just srart with
> >       emacs
> > but loading the ~/.emacs file manually sets the config up ok.
>
> If you start with
>
>    emacs
>
> instead of
>
>    emacs -Q
>
> then there is the possibility that something in your site-start.el or
> default.el changes HOME.

Just tried that option - I get a message "Unknown option `-Q'

Using emacs -q has the usual effect (in my case no different to using
just emacs)

Using getenv, I can see that my HOME environment variable is reporting
corrcetly as /home/paul. I can't find how to get the value of user-
init-file.

I don't know if this is relevant - I tried to run Customize and change
a value in there. When I tried to save changed is gave me an error
message "Saving settings from "emacs -q" would overwrite existing
customizations" - that suggests that I am using emacs -q to start, but
I'm not. There are no aliases set, is there anywhere else that a
configuration file could be hiding?