Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 11:40:41 +0200

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 13:06, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Is it really because it's too far removed from what they're used to?
> Or is this just an excuse for not trying to move?

It is always difficult to separate these, but certainly unfamiliarity
is a big factor in this specific case.

> If they could be convinced that the cost of investing in learning Emacs
> would finally be rewarding (and save them *lots* of pain), then I guess
> they'd learn Emacs.

Whenever I've tried to make them upgrade something it's been a hard,
uphill battle. Some of them are still using very old computers, with
Windows 95 and obsolete hardware (no USB, coaxial cabling, etc.). They
insist that "it works" and the disruption of upgrading is not worth
the cost. As I'm the first one they call when they have trouble, I can
assure you it *does not* work (unless continuous problems and an
entirely unreliable network are considered as "working") and that it
would be quite worthwhile.

  Juanma