Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?

From: Xah
Subject: Re: What does 'run' do in cperl-mode?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 02:49:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 30, 1:47 am, Andreas Eder <andreas_e...@gmx.net> wrote:
> HiXah,

>    Xah> On Jul 29, 3:25 pm, Andreas Eder <andreas_e...@gmx.net> wrote:
>     >> HiXah,
>     >>
>     >> >>>>> "Xah" ==Xah <xah...@gmail.com> writes:
>     >>
>    Xah> I don't see my suggestion for emacs to adapt the “Alt+‹key›” notation
>    Xah> should be classified as a “feature”. Between Feature and Bug, i'd say
>    Xah> it's a bug, if forced.
>     >>
>    Xah> Remember, in my article
>     >>
>    Xah>http://xahlee.org/emacs/modernization_meta_key.html
>     >>
>    Xah> The main reasons i gave are:
>     >>
>    Xah> • Universally understood
>    Xah> • Identical To Key's Label
>    Xah> • Meta is Alt in practice
>    Xah> • Keyboards don't have Meta key today
>     >>
>     >> But this just plain wrong! My Alt key does *not* generate Meta but
>     >> Alt (what a surprise) and I have a different key that generates
>     >> Meta. Meta is not Alt, not even in practice.
>
>    Xah> Did you customize your emacs?
>
> No, that hasn't got anything to do with emacs. It is a question of
> keyboard drivers and X11 keymaps. I did not change anything
> related to keys in emacs.
> I even have super and Hyper keys by the way.
>
>    Xah> My argument is applied to default emacs on Windows, Mac OS X, and
>    Xah> Linux...
>
>    Xah> Also, what keyboard and OS are you on?
> It is a cherry linux keyboard and the OS is FreeBSD.
> But as I already said, it hasn't got anything to do with that. It
> is merely a question of setting up the right keyboard drivers and
> layouts and you have your keys as you like them in any application
> not just emacs.

Ok. So you didn't customize emacs but you did customize your OS?

among computer keyboard users, those who has customized their
keymappings is perhaps less that 0.001%. If we narrow it down to
professional programers, it's still perhaps less than 0.01%.

In anycase, regardless what emacs uses as its shortcut notation, your
personal customization will still work.

I too, have extensive keyboard customization, both at OS level and
emacs level. I use Apple's computer running OSX, with a Microsoft's PC
keyboard. The Alt key on my keyboard is actually Mac's Cmd. The
WindowKey is actually the Opt/Alt key.
That's just my customization. I can't use it to argue that Alt is not
Alt.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/