Re: find-file completion tweak

From: Eric Roode
Subject: Re: find-file completion tweak
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 14:21:53 -0400

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 5:22 PM, Thr4wn <Seth.A.Bird@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jul 19, 3:18 pm, "Eric Roode" <eric.roode.em...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Once upon a time, I could have sworn that find-file completion had a feature
> whereby if the first character you typed was a / or a ~, the entire default
> directory was erased and replaced with the / or ~.  This was terribly
> convenient.
>
> Right now, if you want to open an absolute file name (or one relative to
> your home directory), you have to hit C-a C-k after you type C-x C-f and
> before you type / or ~.  Annoying.
>
> Did I dream this feature?  Did it go away?  How can I make find-file behave
> this way again?
>
> Thanks,
> Eric

What version of emacs are you using? I'm have version 22.2.1 on Debian
(compiled from source) and that's what mine does by default, which
makes me curious why yours isn't working.

-Thr4wn

Strange.

I'm currently using 21.2.1 on cygwin/winXP, for what it's worth (using the version that cygwin's package manager installs).

-- Eric