Asking AUCTEX to accept ".latex" extension

From: gentsquash
Subject: Asking AUCTEX to accept ".latex" extension
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:12:18 -0700 (PDT)

Just today I enabled AUCTEX.  I have skimmed the AUCTEX doc
but haven't found how to augment the set of extensions that
AUCTEX will recognize as source files.

I have several hundred files; some have extension ".latex",
some ".amstex" and some ".tex".  In Emacs, when I visit,
say, "ergodic.latex", type C-c C-c and select the LaTeX
option, the TeX buffer displays

    ! I can't find file `ergodic.latex.tex'.

Is there an AUCTEX regexp-variable that I can set so that
latex will be run on "ergodic.latex"?  (I would prefer not
to rename my files, if possible.)

NB: The value of TeX-master in "ergodic.latex" is `nil',
and the first line of the file is

%       -*-\latex-*-

--
Prof. Jonathan King      Mathematics dept, Univ. of Florida