Anyone out there running emacs-23 on openSUSE and have good looking font

From: Doctor Who
Subject: Anyone out there running emacs-23 on openSUSE and have good looking fonts?
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 16:42:19 -0400

It appears that I can get good looking fonts for the title bar/medu
bar, but the editor font looks bad.  I know 'bad' is subjective, but I
don't know how else to describe it.

I've created an ~/.Xresources file with

Emacs*font: -bitstream-bitstream vera sans mono-medium-r-*--*-100-*--*--*-

and also

Emacs*Font: Bitstream Vera Sans Mono:10

I also edited ~/.fonts.conf to be the following based on an FAQ on the
EmacsWiki page:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
 <match target="pattern" >
  <edit mode="assign" name="rgba" >
   <const>rgb</const>
  </edit>

  <edit mode="assign" name="hinting" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>

  <edit mode="assign" name="hintstyle" >
   <const>hintslight</const>
  </edit>

  <edit mode="assign" name="antialias" >
   <bool>true</bool>
  </edit>
 </match>
</fontconfig>

I'm hoping someone can help me out with getting the fonts looking good
in the editor (preferably Deja Vu or Bitstream Vera Sans).

Thanks everyone!