Re: use new custom group to adjust ascii files

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: use new custom group to adjust ascii files
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:14:36 +0200

Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
Hi Lennart,

* Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:
Fabian Braennstroem wrote:
Hi,

    I wonder, if emacs' customize group buffer 'mode' can be
    used as a simple gui to adjust some ascii files!?
    I.e. the ascii files are used for configuration of a
    different external program. Would be nice, if anyone has
    a suggestion!
    Thanks!
Hi Fabian

You probably want to look at Emacs widgets. In Emacs 22 or later do

   C-h i

and then search for "widget".

Thanks for the hint! Looks nice, though I did not understand
howto get the right x11 feeling into it... I'll try it out
in the next days.

Emacs widgets looks like what you see in Custom buffers. However the internal API for widgets are such that they can be replaced by for example xwidgets or something similar if someone some day finds the time to do it.