Re: gdb-show-main disappeared...

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdb-show-main disappeared...
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2008 09:25:19 +1200

 > > That sounds like a different problem.  How do you mean "it doesn't work"?
 >
 >   Doesn't show main function and can't be called from mini-buffer (I think
 >   command-line below is called so)

gdb-show-main is a variable, not a function, so you can't do
M-x gdb-show-main.  From the mini-buffer, gou need to do
M-x set-variable<RET>
Set variable: t (say)

 > > The principles of bug reporting are not specific to Emacs.  See the node
 > > "Reporting Bugs" in the Emacs manual. Can you explain what the symptoms
 > > are and exactly how to reproduce it?
 >
 >   Well, it's easy - try to build emacs from svn source, build any program
 > with debug info and M-x gdb. Next is all we discussing. BTW, gdb-ui DOES
 > contain gdb-show-main, I checked.

What happens if you set a breakpoint at main and type "run" in the GUD buffer?
If the source doesn't appear in a buffer it probably means that you haven't
compiled with debug information (-g option).